Monday, June 13, 2011

Bunny Slippers

Bunny Slippers.
When my instructor asked the class tonight what our "trigger word" was, I had no idea what she was referring to. I may have just missed a class (yes. It's happened. Part of my overall problem.) She went on to explain how important having a trigger word is, and I totally agree.
My instructor's trigger words are "not now." When I heard that I thought..well, for me, I'd start thinking negative if I heard that. I need something positive, that not only gets me focused but calms me down and puts me in a good frame of mind. So why bunny slippers?
I was reading the most wonderful website, Cheapandsleazy.com (I can't tell you how much time I've spent there. I love that site!) and I came across an article by a captioner which had a picture of her in bunny slippers (part of her work wardrobe). If you go there,  just check out the look on her face- have you ever smiled like that about work? I remember how much I loved the thought of doing such a great job (rewarding in so many ways) in bunny slippers! I would go back and read the article just to get that feeling of excitement that I tend to get when I read about people doing what I want to be doing.
So back to the actual subject- I need to pick a trigger word. I'm toying with the idea of bunny slippers, since it has such a positive though associated with it, and I'm hoping it would get me to focus.
I have to say that since talking to Jessica last week, I had a much better week. I completed all my assignments, I put more time in, but more important than that, I put QUALITY time in. Just like Jessica told me during our conference it is quality, not quantity.
I feel like I'm doing better. Is it the hours, the type of practice, the frame of mind, or a little bit of all three?
So....what is your trigger word?

3 comments:

  1. Hmm, I wonder if the instructor means what to tell yourself when your mind starts wandering during dictation. Maybe that's the missing link. I really like your trigger phrase, though. It's memorable!

    Way to go in getting down to business and putting in quality practice time. I think it is a combination of all three.

    I don't really have a trigger word, but "later" might be a good one too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome blog post! I've read that work-from-home captioning article from the Cheap & Sleazy website over and over again too! So motivating!

    My trigger word is "family" -- because once I get out of school, I can start earning money by working from home using my steno skills... and from there start expanding our family. Kiddos! :D

    By the way, love your blog, Steno Doll! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm almost a year late, but ... thanks for reading Cheap and Sleazy! :o)

    --gdw

    ReplyDelete