Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Intervention

My wonderful instructor, Jessica, met with me today to help me overcome this impasse I've hit.

Let me explain something- court reporting school is HARD. I've read it, dismissed it, and now it's trying to kick my butt. I've never had a hard time with anything in school or work- I'm going to say I'm not a math genius, but the only time I came close to failing anything was during a rebellious period in junior high school. I expected to breeze through court reporting school, to be somewhat of a natural. And it's trying to kick my butt.

I did get some encouraging news. My last 90wpm test was a 94.4! That is close (not close enough, but it's great! It's progress.) and at least I know now that I'm closing in on this speed. I just need to put extra effort into this thing. I'm not going to let it beat me, I'm not going to walk away from this. I realized that the more I stress about this, the more I'm getting in my own way. I just have to give this to God AND put more time and effort into practice.

Jessica said it's the quality, not the quantity. She suggested I concentrate on theory, 60-80, drills, and if I have time to do 80-100 lit. I've been going in the opposite direction- I try to learn as many briefs as I can (I do think those are helpful), try to go 20-30 words above my goal speed (which can be discouraging when you get lost) and tried to do as little of the lower speeds as possible. She said that a lot of students think that way, and that is a mistake.

So now that I have a plan, I'm putting it into action. I have three weeks left of this quarter and I need to pass some tests.

No- I will pass some tests!

No comments:

Post a Comment